Ōfuna Kannon-ji (大船観音寺) (Engl.)

9. May 2017

Enlightenment aide without abdomen

Ōfuna Kannon-ji (大船観音寺)

Eine deutsche Version dieses Artikels finden Sie hier.
A German version of this posting you can find here.

Of course, I’m aware of the fact that it could be regarded as disrespectful to link a Bodhisattva to something that sounds more like a vaudeville act, but in the case of the Kannon statue of Ōfuna (大船 / おおふな) one feels almost compelled to do so.

It is highly likely that many of those who travel to Kamakura, coming from Yokohama or Tōkyō, have seen the enormous statue while passing Ōfuna station (at least those who were lucky enough to have a window seat on the right side of the train). She is sitting enthroned on the top the lush green of a hill on the west side of the station. Neverthess, it is just as likely, that only a few of those travelling to Kamakura have taken the time for a small detour to the Kannon statue – despite the fact that it is absolutely worth it!

Ōfuna Kannon-ji (大船観音寺)

The history of the Kannon statue of Ōfuna is a rather short one – nevertheless it is not completely free of contradictory details (most of which may be due to faulty translations and calculations).
The idea of such a statue goes back to an initiative of the honorable Mr. Kaneko, Mr. Tōyama and Mr. Hanada, who, in February 1927, called for a convention for the erection of such a grand statue and for the collection of the funds needed for it: 150,000 Yen for the statue as such and additional 50,000 Yen for additional buildings.

Construction work started on 14 April 1929 – and the aim was to build the greatest Kannon in all of Japan. And here is were data gets a little obscure. The numbers of the envisaged height of the sculpture range fom 40 metres to 330 metres (even in various language versions of the website of temple itself – obviously the conversion from Japanese “shaku” to western “metres” is something of a challenge).
But, as a matter of fact, the original blueprints of the construction had to be altered due to the conditions of the foundation soil. In the end the whole plan was scrapped in 1934 in conjunction with the worlds financial crisis and a new focus that was required due to Japan’s new imperial ambitions.

It was only after World War II, in 1953, when the plan to build such a grand sculpture was revived by founding a new “Ōfuna Kannon Society“. The foundation stone was laid on 18 May 1957, and already on 28 April 1960 the opening ceremony could be held. The gigantic statue we can see today is completely “hand made” – the reinforced concrete was built without the use of modern machinery. The concrete surface has been covered and sealed with ecru white colour. With a total height of 25 metres and a total weight of 1,900 tons, it is almost a miracle that this statue seems to float over the forest and the hill it is standing on.

Between 1969 and 1970 an additional memorial for the Kanagawa prefecture’s victims of the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki was erected beneath the Kannon. Since 1990 the eternal flames from the memorials in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were brought here and has been burning ever since. Also fragments of buildings destroyed in the hypocentres of the atomic explosions in the two devastated cities can be seen here.

In 1979 the “Ōfuna Kannon Society“ decided to convert into a religious organisation, which finally came to pass when it was made part of the Sōtō sect of Japanese Zen Buddhism (the largest of the three main schools of Japanese Buddhism) on 20 November 1981. The Sōji-ji in Yokohama is the principal of the Kannon-ji.

But it is not just the impressive exterior of the statue that should be of interest. The interior is no less worth a look. Some years ago the “inside” of the state was converted into a small and rather modern museum, where lots of information can be gathered about the statue and its history.

Addresse of the Ōfuna Kannon-ji:

1-5-3 Okamoto
Kamakura-shi
Kanagawa-ken
₸247-0072

〒247-0072
神奈川県鎌倉市岡本1-5-3

Location of the Ōfuna Kannon-ji:

How to get there:

If you come from Tōkyō or Yokohama you have all the choices Japan Rail has to offer: the Tokaido mainline, the Shōnan-Shinjuku line, the Keihin-Tōhoku line, the Yokosuka line – they all bring you to Ōfuna station (大船 / おおふな). Approaching Ōfuna coming from Enoshima (江の島 / えのしま) you can even treat yourself with the ride on the Shōnan Monorail (a “floating” or overhead railway).

Admission fees:

Adults (from high school): 300 Yen
Children (from elementary school): 100 Yen
Pre-school cildren: fee
There are discounts for goups of 20 and more people.

Opening hours:

Daily from 9 am to 5 pm (last entry: 4.30 pm).

Advertisements

Ōfuna Kannon-ji (大船観音寺) (dt.)

7. May 2017

Die Erleuchtungshelferin ohne Unterleib

Ōfuna Kannon-ji (大船観音寺)

Eine englische Version dieses Artikels finden Sie hier.
An English version of this posting you can find here.

Natürlich bin ich mir dessen bewusst, dass es respektlos ist, eine Bodhisattva gedanklich in die Nähe einer Varieté-Attraktion zu rücken, aber im Falle der Kannon-Statue von Ōfuna (大船 / おおふな) drängt sich einem dieses Wortspiel förmlich auf.

Wahrscheinlich kennen viele diese gigantische Statue von Bahnfahrten von Yokohama oder Tōkyō nach Kamakura, auf denen man am Bahnhof Ōfuna dieselbe mit ein bisschen Glück (sofern man auf der richtigen Zugseite – der rechten – sitzt) erblicken kann. Sie thront förmlich im Grün eines Hügels westlich des Bahnhofs. Ebenso wahrscheinlich ist aber, dass kaum einer der vielen Besucher Kamakuras je den kleinen Abstecher zur Kannon-Statue auf sich genommen hat – dabei lohnt der sich wirklich!

Ōfuna Kannon-ji (大船観音寺)

Die Geschichte der Kannon-Statue von Ōfuna ist vergleichsweise kurz – dafür aber trotzdem nicht frei von Widersprüchen (wovon wahrscheinlich ein paar sich mit fehlerhaften Übersetzungen erklären lassen).
Die Statue geht auf die Initiative der Herrn Kaneko, Tōyama und Hanada zurück, die im Februar 1927 eine Versammlung zur Errichtung einer solchen Kannon-Statue einberufen hatten, um 150.000 Yen für das Bauwerk als solches zu sammeln und zusätzliche 50.000 Yen für die weiteren Einrichtungen auf dem Areal. Die Bauarbeiten begannen am 14. April 1929 – und man schickte sich an die größte Kannon Japans zu errichten. Die Größenangaben der geplanten Statue schwanken zwischen 40 und 330 Metern (selbst auf den verschiedenen Sprachversionen der Webseite des Tempels selbst – hier mag es zu Unstimmigkeiten bei der Umrechnung von japanischen „shaku“ in westliche „Meter“ gekommen sein).
Fakt ist aber, dass die ursprünglichen Baupläne aufgrund der Beschaffenheit des Baugrunds geändert werden mussten und die Bauaktivitäten im Zuge der Weltfinanzkrise und kriegerischen Bestrebungen Japans 1934 schließlich komplett zum Erliegen kamen.

Nach dem Kriege wurde der Plan, eine Kannon-Statue zu errichten, erst 1953 wieder aufgenommen und die „Ōfuna Kannon Gesellschaft“ neu gegündet. Die Grundsteinlegung fand am 18. Mai 1957 statt, und schon am 28. April 1960 konnte die Statue der Öffentlichkeit übergeben werden. Diese heutige Statue besteht aus gegossenem Beton, der komplett per Hand verarbeitet wurde. Die Oberfläche wurde mit naturweißer, wasserabweisender Farbe versiegelt. Mit einer Gesamthöhe von 25 Metern und einem Gesamtgewicht von 1900 Tonnen, ist es fast schon ein Wunder, mit welcher Leichtigkeit und Erhabenheit sich das Antlitz der Kannon über den bewaldeten Hügel erhebt.

Zwischen 1969 und 1970 wurde auch noch ein zusätzlicher Gedenkort für die Atombombenopfer der Präfektur Kanagawa zu Füßen der Statue eingerichtet, an dem seit 1990 die „ewige Flamme“ der Gedenkstätten von Hiroshima und Nagasaki brennt und wo auch zwei Steine von Gebäuden in den Hypozentren der Bombenabwürfe über Hiroshima und Nagasaki zu sehen sind.

Die „Ōfuna Kannon Gesellschaft“ entschloss sich im Jahre 1979, sich in eine religiöse Vereinigung umzuwandeln, was am 20. November 1981 mit der Aufnahme in die Sōtō Sekte, der größten der drei Hauptrichtungen des japanischen Zen-Buddhismus, geschah – formal gehört der Kannon-ji heute zum Sōji-ji in Yokohama.

Sehenswert ist aber nicht nur das überwältigende Äußere dieser Statue, sondern auch deren Innenraum, der vor einigen Jahr in ein kleines Museum mit Tempel umgestaltet wurde. Hier kann einiges über die Entstehungsgeschichte des Tempels nachgelesen werden.

Adresse des Ōfuna Kannon-ji:

1-5-3 Okamoto
Kamakura-shi
Kanagawa-ken
₸247-0072

〒247-0072
神奈川県鎌倉市岡本1-5-3

Lage des Ōfuna Kannon-ji:

Wie man hinkommt:

Von Tōkyō oder Yokohama mit den diversen Linien von Japan Rail (Tokaido Hauptlinie, Shōnan-Shinjuku Linie, Keihin-Tōhoku Linie, Yokosuka Linie) zum Bahnhof Ōfuna (大船 / おおふな). Von Enoshima (江の島 / えのしま) aus führt auch die Shōnan Monorail (eine Schwebebahn) direkt nach Ōfuna.

Eintrittsgebühr:

Erwachsene (ab Oberschüler): 300 Yen
Kinder (ab Grundschüler): 100 Yen
Kinder im Vorschulalter: frei
Gruppen von 20 und mehr Personen erhalten Vergünstigungen.

Öffnungszeiten:

Täglich von 9 Uhr bis 17 Uhr (letzter Einlass um 16.30 Uhr).


The Six Jizō Bosatsu of Edo (江戸六地蔵) (Engl.)

7. September 2015

A prilgim’s way to ancient copper Jizō sculptures across Tōkyō

Eine deutsche Version dieses Artikels finden Sie hier.
A German version of this posting you can find here.

In old Edo (江戸 / えど), in the early 18th century, to be precise, six Jizō statues were erected on the city’s premises – five of which have survived wars and natural disasters. It is a bit weird, but these statues are among the spots in the city most worth seeing, but hardly anybody knows them. Which make them the perfect candidate for this website. If you check English sources on the internet, you’ll find out that they are scarce (not to mention their practical non-existence in German).

Just in case you don’t know much about Buddhism: Jizō Bosatsu (地蔵菩薩 / じぞうぼさつ) are a kind of “Japanese version” of a Bodhisattva, a being on its way to enlightenment, but also supporting and assisting all those who are longing for enlightenment. In Japan Jizō Bosatsu are the ones “in charge” of children – especially children that have died before their parents (i.e.  stillborn children, miscarriages and abortions).

With that in mind, the story of the six Jizō Bosatsu of Edo is easier understood (and – as already indicated above – don’t be confused if you have discovered just five images above – just keep on reading…). This story is being told as follows (based on documentation said to be found inside one of the statues – the one on the grounds of the Taisō temple (太宗寺 / たいそうじ) :

The Jizō monk Shōgen (正元 / しょうげん), who lived in Fukagawa (深川 / ふかがわ), in today’s Kōtō district (江東区 / こうとうく), was plaqued by an incurable decease. But after he had prayed to a Jizō Bosatsu together with his parents in order to beseech healing, he was healed miraculously. Reason enough to see to it, that also Edo got what Kyōto already had: its “Six Jizō Bosatsu”. In 1706 Shōgen started to collect money for this purpose. He seems to have been rather successful with this task, as the statues were built in a very elaborate fashion and using costly material (copper). In their original appearance they were even more gorgeous than today, as they were all gold plated. The caster Ōta Suruganokami Fujiwara Shōgi (太田駿河守藤原正儀 / おおたするがのかみふじわれらしょうぎ) (other sources speak of Ōta Suruganokami Masayoshi / 太田駿河守正義 / おおたするがのかみまさよし) in Kandanabe (神田鍋 / かんだなべ) in today’s Kanda district of Tōkyō (神田区 / かんだく) was commissioned. Within only 12 years six extraordinary copper statues were created. The first of which was already complete two years after Shōgen had started his fundraising. It goes without saying that also in those days people didn’t give money away in utter altruism. “Do good and be sure to make it known” … might have been the motto for some of the donors. In any case, all their names are incised in the statues. So, don’t be surprised if you find the Jizō covered by delicate inscriptions all over their surfaces.

The remaining statues of Jizō Bosatsu are all designated as cultural property of the city of Tōkyō, as they are rather lavish examples of copper statues (銅造地蔵菩薩坐像 / どうぞうじぞうぼさつざぞう) of the middle of the Edo era, and only very few other specimen of that kind exist dating back to those old days.

The temples housing the (originally) six statues were (and are still today) popular stations on a pilgrimage route through Edo, or Tōkyō respectively. So, let’s have a look at those six locations and their statues. And if you don’t visit them all in one long pilgrimage (and even without any religious ambition), take your time and have a look around in their neighbourhoods. I’ve included some hints you may tempt you to go further.

1st Jizō statue

The first of the six Jizō was erected in 1708 at the Honsen temple (品川寺 / ほんせんじ), a temple of the Daigo school of the Shingon Buddhism (真言宗醍醐派 / しんごんしゅうだいごは) in Minami Shinagawa (南品川 / みなみしながわ) in Tōkyō’s Shinagawa ward (品川区 / しながわく), just next to the old Tōkaidō highway(旧東海道 / きゅうとうかいどう).

Size: 2.75 metres. And as such this one is the tallest of the six siblings. Nevertheless, it somehow “looks” smaller than the others, but that might be due to the fact that this is the only one that has to do without headgear.

This is also the first Jizō Bosatsu one visits on the traditional pilgrimage route.

You will be surprised by the impressive neighbourhood of this temple. Here, alongside the old Tōkaidō, quite a number of long-established shops and workshops have been preserved. And if you head north from the Honsen temple, you’ll find a rather large and lavish temple district.

Address:
3-5-17 Minami Shinagawa
Shinagawa-ku
Tōkyō
東京都品川区南品川三丁目5-17

Next railway station:
Keihin Kyūkō (Keikyū) line (京浜急行電鉄 / けいひんきゅうこうでんてつ), Aomonoyokochō (青物横丁 / あおものよこちょう)

2nd Jizō statue

Erected in 1710 at the Tōzen temple (東禅寺 / とうぜんじ), a temple of the Sōtō school of Zen Buddhism (曹洞宗 / そうとうしゅう) in Higashi Asakusa (東浅草 / ひがしあさくさ) in Tōkyō’s Taitō ward (台東区 / たいとうく) close to the Ōshū-Kaidō highway (奥州街道 / おうしゅうかいどう), that was founded in 1624 (the temple – not the highway).

Size: 2.71 metres

This is the fourth Jizō Bosatsu one visits on the traditional pilgrimage route.

The temple’s building itself is a rather new one and may – at least at a first glance – lack the traditional style of other temple buildings.

Should you realise the two smaller bronce statues of an elderly couple on the left hand side of the main gate: These are the commemorative statues of Yasube Kimura (木村安浜衛 / きむらやすべえ) and his wife. Kimura, a former samurai, had found a new meaning of life with baking bread, after the samurai system was abolished by the Meiji emperor. He is the founder of Kimuraya Sōhonten Ltd. (株式会社木村屋總本店 / かぶしきがいしゃきむらそうほんてん), a bakery that was founded in Tōkyō in 1869, using bread baking machines and baking bread in the “western style”.

Tōzen-ji (東禅寺)

Tōzen-ji (東禅寺)

If you walk here from the large temple district of Akasuka, you will most likely also pass the Workshops of Miyamoto Unosuke (宮本卯之助 / みやもとうのすけ). Why don’t you have a look!

Address:
2-12-13 Higashi Asakusa
Taitō-ku
Tōkyō
東京都台東区東浅草二丁目12-13

Next railway station:
Unfortunately, there is no railway or subway station located closely to the temple. However, if you walk from Asakusa’s large temple district in northern direction, it will take you just about 15 minutes.

3rd Jizō statue

Erected in 1712 at the Taisō temple (太宗寺 / たいそうじ), a temple of the Jōdo school (浄土宗 / じょうどしゅう) in Shinjuku (新宿 / しんじゅく) in Tōkyō’s Shinjuku ward (新宿区 / しんじゅくく) next to the Kōshū-Kaidō highway (甲州街道 / こうしゅうかいどう). In this statue “the printed book of the brief history of the erection of the statues of Edo Six Jizōson” was found, based on which the story of these statues is being told today.

Size: 2.67 metres (consequently the smallest of the six Jizō Bosatsu – but not necessarily the smallest-looking one)

This is the second Jizō Bosatsu one visits on the traditional pilgrimage route.

From here it is just a stone’s throw to one of the largest parks of the city, the Shinjuku Gyoen.

Address:
2-9-2 Shinjuku
Shinjuku-ku
Tōkyō
東京都新宿区新宿二丁目9-2

Next railway station:
Tōkyō Metro Marunouchi line (東京メトロ丸ノ内線 / とうきょうめとろまるのうちせん), Shinjuku Gyoenmae (新宿御苑前 / しんしゅくぎょえんまえ).

4th Jizō statue

Erected in 1714 at the Shinshō temple (真性寺 / しんしょうじ), a temple of the Busan school of  Shingon Buddhism (真言宗豊山派 / しんごんしゅうぶざんは) in Sugamo (巣鴨 / すがも) in Tōkyō’s Toshima ward (豊島区 / としまく), right next to the old Nakansendō highway (旧中山道 / きゅうなかせんどう).

Size: 2.68 metres

This statue is in a rather enviable condition as it had been restored rather recently (2008 to 2010). During these restoration efforts four smaller copper statues of seated Jizō Bosatsu and a number of copper and wooden tablets were found inside the statue – and returned to this place after the restoration had been completed. Also this statue somehow looks much more impressive than its “size” would suggest, even though it’s the second smallest of them all.

This is the third Jizō Bosatsu one visits on the traditional pilgrimage route.

In any case, while in Sugamo don’t miss the Jizō-Dōri (地蔵通り / じぞうどおり), the so-called “Granny’s Harajuku“, a hilariously quirky shopping street that begins right here at the Shinshō temple and streches out north.

Address:
3-21-21 Sugamo,
Toshima-ku
Tōkyō
東京都豊島区巣鴨三丁目21-21

Next railway station:
JR Yamanote line (JR山手線 / JRやまのてせん) or Toei Subway Mita line (都営地下鉄三田線 / とえいちかてつみたせん), Sugamo (巣鴨 / すがも).

5th Jizō statue

Erected in 1717 at the Reigan temple (霊巌寺 / れいがんじ), a temple of the Jōdo school (浄土宗 / じょうどしゅう) in Shirakawa (白河 / しらかわ) in Tōkyō’s Kōtō ward (江東区 / こうとうく), at the Mito-Kaidō highway (水戸街道 / みとかいどう). It is said that there are still traces of the original gold layers visible on the surface of this statue (well, they were not to my eye). Should you get the impression that those Jizō Bosatsu are all the same (an impression that the gallery on top of this posting may have distroyed already), have a closer look at this one! It has longer finger nails and holds its hands in a fashion that clearly differs from those of its “siblings”.

Size: 2.73 metres

This is the fifth Jizō Bosatsu one visits on the traditional pilgrimage route.

Right next to the Reigan temple you find the lovely Fukagawa Edo Museum (深川江戸資料館 / ふかがわえどしりょうかん). And just a few steps away you may be enticed to a visit of the Kiyosumi Teien, one of nicest of the remaining feudal gardens in the city, and one that is not that well known.

Address:
1-3-32 Shirakawa
Kōtō-ku
Tōkyō
東京都江東区白河一丁目3-32

Next railway station:
Tōkyō Metro Hanzōmon line (東京メトロ半蔵門線 / とうきょうめとろはんぞうもんせん) or Toei Subway Ōedo line (都営地下鉄大江戸線 / とえいちかてつおおえどせん) to Kiyosumi-Shirakawa (清澄白河 / きよすみしらかわ).

6th Jizō statue

Erected in 1720 at the Eitai temple (永代寺 / えいたいじ), a temple of the Kōya-san Shingon Buddhism (高野山真言宗 / こうやさんしんごんしゅう) in Tomioka (富岡 / とみおか) in Tōkyō’s Kōtō ward (江東区 / こうとうく), at the Chiba-Kaidō highway (千葉街道 / ちばかいどう).

Size: unknown

This is the temple that housed the sixth and last Jizō Bosatsu enroute the traditional pilgrimage. Unfortunately, this statue was distroyed during the turmoils in the early years of the Meiji restoration and its strong anti-Buddhist movements (last quarter of the 19th century).

Nevertheless, a little detour to this temple is just as worthwhile, because there are two of the most impressive gems of the city’s history just next door::

  • The gorgeous Buddhist temple Fukagawa Fudōdō (深川不動堂 / ふかがわふどうどう) and
  • the no less splendid shrine Tomioka Hachimangū (富岡八幡宮 / とみおかはちまんぐう) – a must for all those who are also interested in Sumō.

Address:
1-15-1 Tomioka
Kōtō-ku
Tōkyō
東京都江東区富岡一丁目15-1

Next railway station:
Tōkyō Metro Tōzai line (東京メトロ東西線 / とうきょうめとろとうざいせん) or Toei Subway Ōedo line (都営地下鉄大江戸線 / とえいちかてつおおえどせん), Monzen-Nakachō (門前仲町 / もんぜんなかちょう)


Die sechs Jizō Bosatsu von Edo (江戸六地蔵) (dt.)

4. September 2015

Ein Pilgerweg quer durch Tōkyō zu uralten kupfernen Jizō-Skulpturen

Eine englische Version dieses Artikels finden Sie hier.
An English version of this posting you can find here.

Im alten Edo (江戸 / えど), genauer, im sehr frühen 18. Jahrhundert, hat man über das Stadtgebiet verteilt mehrere Jizō-Statuen errichtet, von denen fünf Naturkatastrophen und Kriegswirren überstanden haben. Eigenartigerweise gehören auch diese Statuen zu den zwar sehenswertesten in der Stadt, gleichzeitig aber auch zu den eher unbekannten – zumindest wenn man deutschsprachige Quellen zu Rate zieht (bei englischsprachigen sieht es nicht wesentlich besser aus).

Zunächst einmal für den Buddhismus-Unkundigen: Bei Jizō Bosatsu (地蔵菩薩 / じぞうぼさつ) handelt es sich sozusagen um die japanische „Ausgabe“ eines Bodhisattva, eines Wesens, das nach Erleuchtung strebt (übersetzt bedeutet das Wort „Erleuchtungswesen“), allerdings auch alle anderen, nach Erleuchtung Verlangenden in ihrem Bestreben unterstützt. Jizō Bosatsu sind in Japan diejenigen, die Kinder beschützen – und dabei einen Schwerpunkt auf Kinder legen, die vor ihren Eltern sterben (also auch Totgeburten, Fehlgeburten und abgetriebene Föten).

Das vorausgeschickt, ist auch die Geschichte der sechs Jizō Bosatsu von Edo leichter zu verstehen (und wenn Sie hier von immer nur fünf Bildern “verwirrt” werden, lesen Sie einfach wacker weiter…). Sie wird wie folgt erzählt (und diese Erzählungen beruhen auf einer Dokumentation, die in einer der Statuen – der Statue auf dem Gelände des Taisō-Tempels (太宗寺 / たいそうじ) – gefunden worden sein soll):

Der Jizō-Mönch Shōgen (正元 / しょうげん), der in Fukagawa (深川 / ふかがわ), im heutigen Kōtō-Bezirk (江東区 / こうとうく) gelegen, lebte, war von einer unheilbaren Krankheit heimgesucht worden. Nachdem er sich zusammen mit seinen Eltern im Gebet von einem Jizō Bosatsu Heilung erfleht hatte, wurde er tatsächlich auf wundersame Weise geheilt. Dies wurde, in Anlehnung an die „sechs Jizō Bosatsu von Kyōto“, im Jahre 1706 zum Anlass genommen, Geld für die Errichtung von sechs Jizō in Edo zu sammeln. Das Geld muss recht schnell beisammen gewesen sein – und offensichtlich so reichlich, dass die Statuen in sehr aufwändigen Verfahren aus Kupfer hergestellt werden konnten. In ihrem Originalzustand müssen die Statuen noch prächtiger gewesen sein, als sie uns heute entgegentreten, denn sie waren ursprünglich sogar vergoldet. In Auftrag wurden sie beim Gießer Ōta Suruganokami Fujiwara Shōgi (太田駿河守藤原正儀 / おおたするがのかみふじわれらしょうぎ) (andere Quellen nennen Ōta Suruganokami Masayoshi / 太田駿河守正義 / おおたするがのかみまさよし) in Kandanabe (神田鍋 / かんだなべ) im heutigen Kanda-Bezirk Tōkyōs (神田区 / かんだく) gegeben. Und so entstanden innerhalb von nur 12 Jahren sechs erstaunliche Statuen – die erste wurde sogar schon zwei Jahre nach Beginn der Sammlungen fertiggestellt. Natürlich haben auch damals schon die Menschen nicht aus schierer Selbstlosigkeit Geld für die Herstellung solcher Monumentalskulpturen gegeben. Unter dem Motto „Tue Gutes und rede darüber!“ wurden die Skulpturen mit den Namen aller Spender versehen – wundern Sie sich also nicht, wenn sie die Jizō-Statuen über und über von filigranen Schriftzeichen bedeckt vorfinden. Jede der verbliebenen Statuen ist als Kulturgut der Stadt Tōkyō registriert, weil sie als besonders aufwändige Beispiele von Kupferstatuen (銅造地蔵菩薩坐像 / どうぞうじぞうぼさつざぞう) aus der Mitte der Edo-Zeit gelten und es nur wenige Beispiele für diese Kunst aus früheren Jahren gibt.

Die Tempel der ursprünglich sechs Statuen waren (und sind es bis heute) beliebte Stationen auf einem Pilgerweg quer durch Edo bzw. Tōkyō. Werfen wir also einen Blick auf alle sechs Statuen (soweit sie noch vorhanden sind) – und wenn Sie nicht gleich alle sechs Orte auf einmal besuchen möchten (wovon ich, ehrlich gesagt auch abraten würde), dann schauen Sie sich in den Nachbarschaften derselben um. Ich habe jeweils ein paar Hinweise mit aufgenommen.

1. Jizō-Statue

Der erste der sechs Jizō wurde im Jahre 1708 am Honsen-Tempel (品川寺 / ほんせんじ), einem Tempel der Daigo-Schule des Shingon-Buddhismus (真言宗醍醐派 / しんごんしゅうだいごは) in Minami Shinagawa (南品川 / みなみしながわ) in Tōkyōs Shinagawa-Bezirk (品川区 / しながわく), an der alten Fernstraße Tōkaidō (旧東海道 / きゅうとうかいどう) errichtet.

Größe: 2,75 Meter. Und damit der größte der sechs „Geschwister“ – allerdings wirkt er auf den ersten Blick etwas kleiner als die anderen, da er ohne jegliche Kopfbedeckung auskommen muss.

Dieses ist auch der erste Jizō Bosatsu, der bei einer Pilgerreise zu allen sechs Statuen besucht wird.

Sie werden erstaunt sein, wie eindrucksvoll die Nachbarschaft dieses Tempels ist. Hier, entlang des alten Tōkaidō, haben sich noch eine Vielzahl alteingesessener Geschäfte und Handwerksbetriebe erhalten. Und in nördlicher Richtung erstreckt sich ein regelrechter Tempel-Distrikt.

Adresse:
3-5-17 Minami Shinagawa
Shinagawa-ku
Tōkyō
東京都品川区南品川三丁目5-17

Nächster Bahnhof:
Keihin Kyūkō (Keikyū) Linie (京浜急行電鉄 / けいひん・きゅうこう・でんてつ), Aomonoyokochō (青物横丁 / あおものよこちょう)

2. Jizō-Statue

Errichtet im Jahre 1710 am Tōzen-Tempel (東禅寺 / とうぜんじ), einem Tempel der Sōtō-Schule des Zen-Buddhismus (曹洞宗 / そうとうしゅう) in Higashi Asakusa (東浅草 / ひがしあさくさ) in Tōkyōs Taitō-Bezirk (台東区 / たいとうく) an der Fernstraße Ōshū-Kaidō (奥州街道 / おうしゅうかいどう) gelegen, der im Jahre 1624 gegründet wurde.

Größe: 2,71 Meter

Dieses ist der vierte Jizō Bosatsu, der bei einer Pilgerreise zu allen sechs Statuen besucht wird.

Das Tempelgebäude selbst ist neueren Datums und mag auf den ersten Blick ein bisschen „stillos“ wirken. Falls Ihnen am Zugang zum Tempel links die kleinen Bronzestatuen eines „älteren Ehepaares“ auffallen sollten: Es handelt sich hierbei um Yasube Kimura (木村安浜衛 / きむらやすべえ) und seine Frau. Der ehemalige Samurai hatte sich in der frühen Meiji-Zeit auf das Brotbacken verlagert. Er ist war der Gründer der Kimuraya Sōhonten Ltd. (株式会社木村屋總本店 / かぶしきがいしゃきむらそうほんてん), einer 1869 in Tōkyō gegründete Bäckerei, die damals schon Brotbackmaschinen zum Einsatz brachte und Brot im „westlichen Stil“ backte.

Tōzen-ji (東禅寺)

Tōzen-ji (東禅寺)

Auf dem Weg von Akasuka zum Tōzen-Tempel kommen Sie auch an den Werkstätten von Miyamoto Unosuke (宮本卯之助 / みやもとうのすけ) vorbei. Schauen Sie doch mal vorbei!

Adresse:
2-12-13 Higashi Asakusa
Taitō-ku
Tōkyō
東京都台東区東浅草二丁目12-13

Nächster Bahnhof:
Leider gibt es keinen Bahnhof, der wirklich in der Nähe läge. Aber von den berühmten Tempelanlagen in Asakusa läuft man nur etwa 15 Minuten in nördlicher Richtung.

3. Jizō-Statue

Errichtet im Jahre 1712 am Taisō-Tempel (太宗寺 / たいそうじ), einem Tempel der Jōdo-Schule (浄土宗 / じょうどしゅう) in Shinjuku (新宿 / しんじゅく) in Tōkyōs Shinjuku-Bezirk (新宿区 / しんじゅくく) an der Fernstraße Kōshū-Kaidō (甲州街道 / こうしゅうかいどう) gelegen. In dieser Statue wurde das „gedruckte Buch der kurzen Geschichte der Errichtung der Statuen der sechs Jizōs von Edo“ gefunden, auf das sich das Wissen um diese Statuen stützt.

Größe: 2,67 Meter (und damit der kleinste der noch erhaltenen Jizō Bosatsu)

Dieses ist der zweite Jizō Bosatsu, der bei einer Pilgerreise zu allen sechs Statuen besucht wird.

Von hier aus ist nur ein Katzensprung zu einem der größten Parks der Stadt, dem Shinjuku Gyoen.

Adresse:
2-9-2 Shinjuku
Shinjuku-ku
Tōkyō
東京都新宿区新宿二丁目9-2

Nächster Bahnhof:
Tōkyō Metro Marunouchi-Linie (東京メトロ丸ノ内線 / とうきょうめとろまるのうちせん), Shinjuku Gyoenmae (新宿御苑前 / しんしゅくぎょえんまえ).

4. Jizō-Statue

Errichtet im Jahre 1714 am Shinshō-Tempel (真性寺 / しんしょうじ), einem Tempel der Busan-Schule des Shingon-Buddhismus (真言宗豊山派 / しんごんしゅうぶざんは) in Sugamo (巣鴨 / すがも) in Tōkyōs Toshima-Bezirk (豊島区 / としまく), an der alten Fernstraße Nakansendō (旧中山道 / きゅうなかせんどう) gelegen.

Größe: 2,68 Meter

Die Statue ist in einem fast schon „beneidenswert“ zu nennenden Zustand, da sie von 2008 bis 2010 restauriert wurde. Bei diesen Arbeiten hat man im Innern der Statue vier kleine Kupferstatuen von Jizō Bosatsu und Kupfer- und Holztafeln gefunden – diese wurden nach der Restaurierung wieder im Innern der Statue gelagert. Außerdem wirkt sie wuchtiger, als die vergleichsweise geringe Größe (sie ist die zweitkleinste nach der Statue am Taisō-ji) vermuten ließe.

Dieses ist der dritte Jizō Bosatsu, der bei einer Pilgerreise zu allen sechs Statuen besucht wird.

Verpassen Sie auf keinen Fall die Jizō-Dōri (地蔵通り / じぞうどおり), im Volksmund auch “Großmütterchens Harajuku” genannt, die herrlich schrullige Einkaufsstraße von Sugama, die hier am Shinshō-Tempel beginnend sich in nördlicher Richtung erstreckt.

Adresse:
3-21-21 Sugamo,
Toshima-ku
Tōkyō
東京都豊島区巣鴨三丁目21-21

Nächster Bahnhof:
JR Yamanote-Linie (JR山手線 / JRやまのてせん) oder Tōkyō Subway Mita-Linie (都営地下鉄三田線 / とえいちかてつみたせん), Sugamo (巣鴨 / すがも).

5. Jizō-Statue

Errichtet im Jahre 1717 am Reigan-Tempel (霊巌寺 / れいがんじ), einem Tempel der Jōdo-Schule (浄土宗 / じょうどしゅう) in Shirakawa (白河 / しらかわ) in Tōkyōs Kōtō-Bezirk (江東区 / こうとうく), an der Mito-Kaidō (水戸街道 / みとかいどう) gelegen. Angeblich soll man an dieser Statue noch Reste der Goldauflage erkennen können (ich konnte das nicht). Falls Ihnen die Jizō Bosatsu alle gleich vorkommen sollten (spätestens bei der eingangs gezeigten Galerie der fünf verbliebenen Statuen wurde ja eigentlich schon klar, dass sie sich doch gravierend unterscheiden), schauen Sie sich besonders diese etwas genauer an! Sie hat etwas längere Fingernägel und hält die Hände anders als ihre „Geschwister“.

Größe: 2,73 Meter

Dieses ist der fünfte Jizō Bosatsu, der bei einer Pilgerreise zu allen sechs Statuen besucht wird.

Direkt nebenan befindet sich das überaus sehenswerte Fukagawa Edo Museum (深川江戸資料館 / ふかがわえどしりょうかん). Und nur ein paar Schritte entfernt lockt der Kiyosumi Teien, der nicht ganz so bekannte der alten Feudalgärten Tōkyō.

Adresse:
1-3-32 Shirakawa
Kōtō-ku
Tōkyō
東京都江東区白河一丁目3-32

Nächster Bahnhof:
Tōkyō Metro Hanzōmon-Linie (東京メトロ半蔵門線 / とうきょうめとろはんぞうもんせん) oder Toei Subway Ōedo-Linie (都営地下鉄大江戸線 / とえいちかてつおおえどせん) nach Kiyosumi-Shirakawa (清澄白河 / きよすみしらかわ).

6. Jizō-Statue

Errichtet im Jahre 1720 am Eitai-Tempel (永代寺 / えいたいじ), einem Tempel des Kōya-san Shingon-Buddhismus (高野山真言宗 / こうやさんしんごんしゅう) in Tomioka (富岡 / とみおか) in Tōkyōs Kōtō-Bezirk (江東区 / こうとうく), an der Chiba-Kaidō (千葉街道 / ちばかいどう) gelegen.

Größe: unbekannt.

Dieses ist der Tempel, der den sechsten der Jizō Bosatsu, der bei einer Pilgerreise zu allen sechs Statuen besucht wurde, beheimatete. Leider hat er die anti-buddhistischen Bestrebungen in den frühen Jahren der Meiji Restauration (letztes Viertel des 19. Jahrhunderts) nicht überstanden.

Der Abstecher hierher lohnt sich deswegen aber nicht weniger, denn zwei der eindrucksvollsten Schmuckstücke der Stadt stehen in nächster Nachbarschaft:

  • Der prächtige buddhistische Tempel Fukagawa Fudōdō (深川不動堂 / ふかがわふどうどう) und
  • der nicht minder prächtige shintoistische Schrein Tomioka Hachimangū (富岡八幡宮 / とみおかはちまんぐう) – letzterer ein Muss für alle, die sich für Sumō interessieren.

Adresse:
1-15-1 Tomioka
Kōtō-ku
Tōkyō
東京都江東区富岡一丁目15-1

Nächster Bahnhof:
Tōkyō Metro Tōzai-Linie (東京メトロ東西線 / とうきょうめとろとうざいせん) oder Toei Subway Ōedo-Linie (都営地下鉄大江戸線 / とえいちかてつおおえどせん), Monzen-Nakachō (門前仲町 / もんぜんなかちょう)


Asakusa Sensō-ji (浅草寺)

13. June 2009

Tōkyōs ältester und berühmtester Tempel  – oder: vom „Fang des Tages“ zur touristischen Berühmtheit
Tōkyō’s oldest and most famous temple  – or: from “catch of the day” to touristy fame
(Englischer Text folgt dem deutschen)
(English text follows the German text)
Senso-ji Map

Geschichtlicher Hintergrund:
Der Sensō-ji (浅草寺 / せんそうじ) in Tōkyōs nördlichem Stadtteil Asakusa (浅草) gehört zum Standardprogramm eines jeden Touristen – und das aus gutem Grund, denn er gehört zu den grandiosesten Bauwerken der Stadt und gleichzeitig auch noch den geschichts- und legendenträchtigsten. Der Sage nach haben nämlich zwei Fischer (die Hikonuma-Brüder) am frühen Morgen des 18. März 628 die Statue einer Bodhisattva Kannon aus dem Sumida-Fluss gefischt. Der damalige Ortsvorsteher soll die Heiligkeit der kleinen Statue sofort erkannt und einen kleinen Tempel für sie errichtet haben. Der erste Tempel wurde an der Stelle des heutigen Sensō-ji im Jahre 645 errichtet – kein Wunder also, dass er heute als der älteste Tempel der Stadt gilt. In der Kamakura-Zeit (1192-1333), ganz besonders aber seit den frühen Jahren des Tokugawa Shōgunats (frühes 17. Jahrhundert), als der Sensō-ji der Schutztempel des Tokugawa-Klans wurde, kam dem Tempel besondere Bedeutung zu. Und auch heute noch zählt der Sensō-ji jährlich mehr als 30 Millionen Besucher.

Wie viele andere wichtige Gebäude wurde auch der Sensō-ji während des 2. Weltkrieges schwer in Mitleidenschaft gezogen und erst im Jahre 1958 wieder errichtet (nun aber nicht mehr in der traditionellen Holzbauweise, sondern in Stahlbeton, um künftig auch Erdbeben besser gewachsen zu sein). Aus diesem Grund wurde im Jahre 2008 der 50. Jahrestag des Wiederaufbaus festlich begangen (die beigefügten Nachtaufnahmen entstanden während dieser Zeit).

Historic Background:
Surely, Sensō-ji (浅草寺 / せんそうじ) in Tōkyō’s Asakusa (浅草) district is part of every standard sightseeing tour in Tōkyō – and for good reason, as it’s one of the most magnificent buildings of the city and it’s loaded with history and legend. Myth has it that in the morning of March 18 in the year 628 the Hikonuma brothers, two fishermen, found a statue of a Bodhisattva Kannon in the nearby Sumida river. The district major immediately recognised that this tiny statue was of sacred nature. Soon the first temple was built in the year 645 – no wonder that Sensō-ji is regarded the oldest temple of Tōkyō.
Sensō-ji became more and more important during the Kamakura period (1192-1333) and during the early years of the Tokugawa shōgunate in particular (early 17th century), when Sensō-ji was made the tutelary temple of the Tokugawa clan. In our times Sensō-ji is one of the most busy tourist spots in the capital with more than 30 million visitors a year.

Like many other important buildings Sensō-ji was severely damaged during World War II. and could only be re-erected in 1958 (at that time the traditional wooden structure was replaced by reinforced concrete in order to enhance stability also to withstand the frequent earthquakes. In 2008 the 50-year-anniversary was celebrated with a festival (on which occasion the pictures below were taken).
Das Tempelgelände:
Man betritt das Tempelgelände durch das eindrucksvolle Kaminarimon (雷門 / かみなりもん / Donnertor) mit seiner riesigen roten Laterne und den beiden Schutzgöttern rechts und links…

The Compound:
You would usually enter Sensō-ji’s compound by passing the impressive Kaminarimon (雷門 / かみなりもん / Thunder Gate) with its gigantic red paper lantern and the two guardians….

Kaminarimon (雷門)

Kaminarimon (雷門)

Kaminarimon (雷門)

Kaminarimon (雷門)

…. und kommt so in die Nakamise-dōri (仲見世通り / なかみせどおり), wo sich allerlei Geschäfte seit dem frühen 18. Jahrhundert versammelt haben. Nachdem sich gegen Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts immer mehr westliche Einflüsse in Japan breit zu machen begannen, waren die zahlreichen Geschäfte geschlossen, abgerissen und in Backstein-Bauweise wieder errichtet worden. Zu dumm nur, dass diese Bauweise sich als hochgradig ungeeignet erwies, wenn es darum ging, Erdbeben Widerstand zu leisten. Während des großen Kantō-Erdbebens (1923) stürzten die meisten dieser Gebäude wieder ein und wurde 1925 erneut in Beton errichtet. Den 2. Weltkrieg haben allerdings auch diese Gebäude nicht überlebt. Heute lustwandelt man auf Gelände des Sensō-ji durch eine Nachkriegskonstruktion, die aber einer der großen touristischen Magneten der Stadt ist. Selbst die Tatsache, dass einige der ca. 90 Geschäfte nur touristischen Ramsch verkaufen, kann der ca. 300 Meter langen Flanierstraße ihren Charme nicht rauben. Auf keinen Fall sollte man es versäumen, an einem der „senbei“-(煎餅 / せんべい) Stände Halt zu machen und die frisch gerösteten Reiskräcker zu versuchen (ganz billig sind sie zwar nicht, dafür aber garantiert frisch).

…. thus entering the Nakamise-dōri (仲見世通り / なかみせどおり), a little street where, since the early 18th century, shops have gathered. During the last quarter of the 19th century western influences increased in Japan. And these influences did not stop a Nakamise-dōri. The shops were closed, the buildings demolished and re-erected in the fashionable “Western Style Brick”. This imported architecture may have pleased the eyes of the people at that time, unfortunately, it wasn’t really designed to withstand earthquakes. During the Great Earthquake (1923) most of these new buildings were distroyed. In 1925 the shops along the Nakamise-dōri were built again, this time in concrete. Nevertheless, also these buildings did not survive Word War II. – today we see a post-war reconstruction of Sensō-ji’s compound. Even though some of the 90 shops of the Nakamise-dōri may just sell touristy junk, it hasn’t lost its very particular charme. Don’t miss to sample some of the “senbei” (煎餅 / せんべい) – the rice-crackers here may not be the cheapest, but they are always fresh and very tasty.

Nakamise-dōri (仲見世通り)

Nakamise-dōri (仲見世通り)

Nakamise-dōri (仲見世通り)

Nakamise-dōri (仲見世通り)

Beeindruckender noch als das Kaminarimon (雷門) ist das Hōzōmon (宝蔵門 / ほうぞうもん) (Schatzhaus-Tor) am Ende der Nakamise-dōri, nach dessen Durchquerung…

Even more impressive than the Kaminarimon (雷門) is the Hōzōmon (宝蔵門 / ほうぞうもん) (Treasure Gate) which marks the northern end of Nakamise-dōri. Once you’ve passed this gorgeous gate…

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

… man die Haupthalle (Hondō /本堂 / ほんどう) des Sensō-ji, die weil sie die Kannonstatue beherbergt, auch „Kannondō“ (観音堂 / かんのんどう) genannt wird, erblickt. Hondō und Hōzōmon bilden zusammen mit der gewaltigen, 5-stöckigen Pagode ein Gebäudeensemble, wie man es auch in Japan nicht an jeder Straßenecke findet. Am besten man lässt den Sensō-ji einfach auf sich wirken – weder die Worte, noch die Bilder hier können auch nur ansatzweise die Atmosphäre dieser buddhistischen Anlage wiedergeben.

…. you’ll reach the main hall (Hondō /本堂 / ほんどう) of Sensō-ji, which is also called „Kannondō“ (観音堂 / かんのんどう), as it houses the tiny kannon statue mentioned above. Together with the Hōzōmon and the five-storied pagoda the main hall forms a quite exquisite ensemble which one find very often in Tōkyō or even the whole of Japan. Take your time and try to „feel“ Sensō-ji’s atmosphere – it is much more impressive than words or even pictures may suggest.

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門) - Pagoda

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門) – Pagoda

Sensō-ji (浅草寺) - Pagoda

Sensō-ji (浅草寺) – Pagoda

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門) - Pagoda

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門) – Pagoda

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hōzōmon (宝蔵門)

Hondō (本堂) / Kannondō (観音堂)

Hondō (本堂) / Kannondō (観音堂)

Hondō (本堂) / Kannondō (観音堂)

Hondō (本堂) / Kannondō (観音堂)

Hondō (本堂) / Kannondō (観音堂)

Hondō (本堂) / Kannondō (観音堂)

Übrigens:
Für die Freude des shintoistischen Glaubens befindet sich gleich nebenan auch noch der Asakusa-Schrein (浅草神社 / あさくさじんじゃ), der im Jahre 1649 unter dem Shōgun Tokugawa Iemitsu errichtet wurde.

By the way:
Friends of shinto believes will be pleased to read that Asakusa-Jinja (浅草神社 / あさくさじんじゃ), built in 1649 during Tokugawa Iemitsu’s shōgunate, can be found just next to Sensō-ji.

Und wie kommt man zum Sensō-ji (浅草寺)?
Am einfachsten mit den U-Bahnen der Ginza-Linie oder Asakusa-Linie; Haltestelle “Asakusa”.

How to get to Sensō-ji:
The easiest access is via the subway lines „Ginza“ and Asakusa“ which both stop as „Asakusa“ station.

Und für alle, die die Bilder noch mal ein bisschen größer sehen möchte, hier alles noch einmal zum Anklicken.
And for everyone who would like to magnify the pictures above, feel free to to click the icons below
:

Sehen Sie auch / also see:
Sanja Matsuri – 三社祭
Ein Fest für die Götter, das Volk, die Augen und das Ohr
A festival for the gods, the people, the eyes and the ear

Hallo Hasenjahr! / Hello Year of the Rabbit!
Neujahr am Sensō-ji (浅草寺)
New Year at the Sensō-ji (浅草寺)