Tottori (鳥取): Wakasa (若桜) (Engl.)

21. February 2017

A gem, hidden in the mountains

Wakasa, Kura Dōri (若桜・蔵通り)

Wakasa, Kura Dōri (若桜・蔵通り)

Eine deutsche Version dieses Artikels finden Sie hier.
A German version of this posting you can find here.

At the end of non-electrified the railroad “Wakasa line” (若桜鉄道 / わかさてつどう), that is still regularly serviced by an old steam locomotive, you’ll find the town center of Wakasa (若桜 / わかさ), a village that, with quite a number of hamlets, streches out into the nearby valleys. It is surrounded by densely wooded mountains with peaks between 1,200 and 1,500 metres and is located about 30 km southeast of the prefecture’s capital, Tottori (鳥取市 / 鳥取市).

The little town never really gained historic significance, but in the old days its abundance of wood brought some splendor to it. From the Kamakura era (1185-1333) it is known, that Wakasa’s wood was brought down to the sea shore via the mountain rivers and shipped to Kamakura from there. During the Edo period (1603-1868) the cultivation of rice was intensified to meet the growing population’s demand. The plentifulness of the mountains’ waters offered the perfect foundation for it. But they also were the cause for terrible floodings (especially in 1815 and 1888).

Today Wakasa is mainly known for its steam locomotive, but also for its particularly delicious radish.

The tracks of the “Wakasa line” are just 19.2 km long. But since 1 Dec. 1930 they connect the town with the station of Kōge (郡家駅 / こうげえき) in Yazu (八頭町 / やずちょう) and from there it’s just a short ride to the prefectural capital. Until 1974 also freight was transported on this line, but in our days, it is just used for passenger trains. I’m writing so much about this railway, because Wakasa is particularly proud of its old steam engine type JNR class C12, of which between 1932 and 1947 as many as 282 were built. The specimen you can see here was built in the year Shōwa 13 (i.e. 1938) and is fully functional. Compared with that, the diesel locomotive from the 70s of last century, which you can also see here (type JNR class DD16), looks almost modern. People here are also very proud of their old railway turntable from 1930 that is still in operation today.

Location of Wakasa station:

However, even if you think that visiting Japan just for the sake of historic railways is not worth the trip (the more contemporary trains of Japan may in fact be much more impressive), you haven’t come to the wrong place at Wakasa. This little town is among the most charming ones, and – praise the lord – not one of those terribly obstructed ones.

There are two streets in walking distance from the station I would like to draw your attention to:

The Kura Dōri (蔵通り / くらどおり).

This rather romantic street is nestled between a long row of old warehouses (蔵 / くら) and the temple district of Shimomachi (下町 / しもまち) and its particularly quaint Buddhist temples Shōei-ji (正栄寺 / しょうえいじ) and Saihō-ji (西方寺 / さいほうじ), that look much older than the other buildings of Wakasa.

Wakasa, Saihō-ji (若桜・西方寺)

Wakasa, Saihō-ji (若桜・西方寺)

This part of town is the “result” of a devasting fire that happened in 1885 and destroyed major parts of it. Considering the consequence of the previous style of buildings and housing the construction of fire-proof “kura” was forced (not unlike what happened in Kawagoe around the same time). Also for the larger buildings of temples it became a regulation to leave more distance between the buildings and to the next street.

And something that might also find your interest: The whole Kura Dōri has been equipped with water nozzles in its pavement. These nozzles spray hot spring water onto the pavement, to keep it free from snow and ice in winter.

Parallel to the Kura Dōri runs

the Kariya Dōri (カリヤ通り / かりやどおり).

This is the main street of Wakasa so to speak. It gains its charm from its well preserved old town houses, quite a number of long established businesses and – among other things – a sake brewery. The cosiness of this street also is a result of the strict building code that was enforced after the big fire from 1885. One of the most breathtaking features are the streams of water flowing on either side of the street. In front of some house these water channels have been widened to form basins, some houses even used the streams to supply fresh water to basins in their entrances. And that is where the families keep gorgeous carps (they are, perhaps, so gorgeous, because they are generously stuffed with kitchen waste…).

Three of the buildings at the Kariya Dōri are worth a closer look:

First, let’s take a look at the tiny “Shōwa Toy Museum” (昭和おもちゃ館 / しょうわおもちゃかん):

It may not be a museum of international reputation, but if you are looking for toys, household tools and electric appliances of the Shōwa era (1926-1989) or if rummage around for old fashioned sweets is your thing, this is the place you might want to consider.

Open daily (except Tuesday) from 10 am to 5 pm.
Admisstion fee: adults: 200 Yen / children up to 12 years of age: 100 Yen.

Location of the Shōwa Toy Museums:

Are you interested in Japanese sake? Then pay a visit to the “Ōta Sake Brewery” (太田酒造場 / おおたしゅぞうじょう). This sake brewery that was founded in 1909 takes advantage of the high quality spring waters of Wakasa and still abides by the principle of “quality, not quantity” – annual production is limited to 10,000 standard bottles (1.8 liters = 一升瓶 / いっしょうびん).

The brand name of the brewery is known beyond the borders of the prefecture: “Benten Musume” (辨天娘 / べんてんむすめ).
And yet, in 1992 it looked like the final nail was put in the brewery’s coffin, when it became impossible to recruit enough sake brewers to continue production – due to the dramatic decrease in rural population. Only in 2002 production could be resumed, starting with a meagre 1,080 litres of sake.
Since 2010 the brewery is so proud of the fact that it uses local ingredients only, that it puts the name of every contributing rice farmer on its bottles.
Usually, I don’t engage in clumsy promotion of products on this website, but the brewer’s family was of such a hospitable nature, that I feel compelled to make an exception from the rule.

Location of the Ōta Sake-Brauerei:

Doesn’t sightseeing make you hungy? Well, then it’s time for a little something. Why not trying the “Dining Café Arata” (ダイニングカフェー新 / あらた) – assuming you love pork, because that’s the specialty of the place. The restaurant is splendidly accomodated by a particularly gorgeous but traditional town house.

Location of the restaurant “Arata”:

Diving into times even longer passed is an old Buddhist temple that also belongs to the community of Wakasa: The Fudōin Iwayadō (不動院岩屋堂 / ふどういんいわやどう), that dates back to the year 806 when it was founded as part of a larger temple compound (there are also sources mentioning that it was built in the Muromach period (1333-1392)). It is also reported that this temple was the only part that survived during severe destruction in 1581 (Hideyoshi Toyotomi’s invasion of Inaba). In the 50s of last century extensive restoration work was undertaken, and finally the temple was registered as an important cultural asset of the country. Furthermore, it is amoung the 100 most popular buildings of the prefecture. And there is a good an obvious reason for it: Its location! It was fitted into a cave 13 metres above the ground. Isn’t that extraordinary?!

But also have a look at the details: The Fudōin Iwayadō is also home to a small wooden statue that was carved centuries ago. Legend has it that it was Kōbō-Daishi (the founder of Shingon Buddhism) himself who carved it (hence, it must be more than 1,200 years old). It is said, that this little statue was miraculously spared when the temple was devastated, because it represent the God of Fire. Twice a year (on March 28 and July 28) holy fires (goma / 護摩 / ごま) are being held here, when the statue is displayed in public.

Right next to the Fudōin Iwayadō you’ll pass the also rather romanticly placed Iwaya Jinja (岩屋神社 / いわやじんじゃ) in front of a steep and rocky wall and surrounded by old trees. Just have a look at that mossy approach to the main building of the shrine.

Location of the Fudōin Iwayadō:

Don’t you agree: When in Tottori, there are quite a number of reasons for some side trips – especially, when it comes to this easy-to-reach village in the mountains. I’m sure you’ll fall for its charm and the hospitality of its inhabitants.

And if this has triggered some interest in Tottori in you, why don’t you have a look here:

Kurayoshi (倉吉)
– The town of white walls and red roofs

Kotoura-chō (琴浦町)
– Stucco plasterers of the world – watch out!

Tottori Sand Museum (砂の美術館)
-Travel Around the World in Sand

Tottori Folk Crafts Museum (鳥取民芸美術館)
– Have a look and be amazed – thanks to Shōya Yoshida


Tottori (鳥取): Wakasa (若桜) (dt.)

19. February 2017

Schmuckstück, versteckt in den Bergen

Wakasa, Kura Dōri (若桜・蔵通り)

Wakasa, Kura Dōri (若桜・蔵通り)

Eine englische Version dieses Artikels finden Sie hier.
An English version of this posting you can find here.

Am Ende einer nicht elektrifizierten Bahnlinie, der „Wakasa Bahn“ (若桜鉄道 / わかさてつどう), die regelmäßig auch noch von einer alten Dampflok bedient wird, befindet sich der Ortskern von Wakasa (若桜 / わかさ), einer Gemeinde, die sich, verteilt auf einzelne Ortsflecken, in mehrere Täler erstreckt. Umgeben von Bergen mit einer Höhe zwischen 1200 und 1500 Metern und gut 30 km südöstlich von der Stadt Tottori entfernt.

Geschichtliche Bedeutung hat das Städtchen nie erlangt, es aber in alten Tagen mit seinem Holzreichtum zu einer gewissen Stattlichkeit gebracht. Aus der Kamakura-Zeit (1185-1333) ist bekannt, dass Holz und Reis den Fluss hinab ans Meer gebracht und von dort verschifft wurde. Während der Edo-Zeit (1603-1868) wurde der Reisanbau intensiviert – der Wasserreichtum der Gebirgslandschaft bildete die ideale Grundlage dafür, sorgte aber auch für teilweise verheerende Überschwemmungen (namentlich in den Jahren 1815 und 1888). Heute ist Wakasa in erster Linie für seine Dampflok, aber auch für seinen besonders leckeren Rettich berühmt.

Die 19,2 km lange Strecke der „Wakasa Bahn“ verbindet seit dem 1. Dezember 1930 Wakasa mit dem Bahnhof Kōge (郡家駅 / こうげえき) in Yazu (八頭町 / やずちょう) und von dort mit der Hauptstadt der Präfektur. Bis 1974 wurden auch Güter auf dieser Strecke transportiert, heute verkehren nur noch Personenzüge. Ich gehe etwas genauer auf diese Bahnstrecke ein, weil die Gemeinde besonders stolz auf ihre alte Dampflok der Baureihe JNR Class C12 ist, von denen zwischen 1932 und 1947 ganze 282 Stück gebaut wurden. Das hiesige Exemplar stammt aus dem Jahr Shōwa 13 (lies und sprich: 1938) und ist voll funktionstüchtig. Dagegen wirkt die aus den 70er Jahren des letzten Jahrhunderts stammende, ebenfalls eher museale Diesellok aus der Baureihe JNR Class DD16 fast schon modern. Besonders stolz ist mal auch auf eine Drehscheibe aus den Anfangsjahren der Eisenbahn und das historische Bahnhofsgebäude, das noch aus dem Jahre 1930 erhalten ist und bis heute genutzt wird.

Lageplan des Bahnhofs von Wakasa:

Wer aber der Meinung sein sollte, man müsse historischer Eisenbahnen wegen nicht unbedingt nach Japan reisen (die modernen Eisenbahnbetriebe sind hier ja auch wesentlich eindrucksvoller), ist in Wakasa dennoch nicht fehl am Platze. Der Ort gehört nämlich auch zu den eher beschaulichen und – Göttin sei Dank – nicht verbauten. Zwei Straßen im Zentrum (und in Bahnhofsnähe) möchte ich hervorheben:

Die Kura Dōri (蔵通り / くらどおり).

Sie verläuft direkt zwischen einer langen Reihe alter Lagerhäuser (蔵 / くら) und dem Tempelviertel von Shimomachi (下町 / しもまち) mit den besonders altertümlich wirkenden buddhistischen Tempeln Shōei-ji (正栄寺 / しょうえいじ) und Saihō-ji (西方寺 / さいほうじ), die wesentlich älter wirken, als die restliche Bebauung Wakasas.

Wakasa, Saihō-ji (若桜・西方寺)

Wakasa, Saihō-ji (若桜・西方寺)

Dieses Viertel haben wir heute sozusagen einem Großbrand im Jahre 1885 zu „verdanken“, dem Großteile der Stadt zum Opfer gefallen waren. Danach wurde der Bau von Gebäude im feuerfesten „Kura“-Stil forciert (ähnlich, wie das ja auch in Kawagoe geschehen ist). Auch für die Tempelgebäude war großzügiger Abstand von einander und der nächsten Straße vorgeschrieben.

Auffallend auch: Die Kura Dōri ist durchgängig mit Wasserdüsen im Pflaster versehen, über die im Winter heißes Quellwasser versprüht wird, das die Straße schnee- und eisfrei hält.

Parallel zur Kura Dōri verläuft

Die Kariya Dōri (カリヤ通り / かりやどおり).

Und die ist sozusagen die Hauptstraße der kleinen Stadt mit gut erhaltenen, alten Stadthäusern, einer Vielzahl alt eingesessener Geschäfte und u.a. auch einer Sakebrauerei. Auch die Bebauung dieser Straße geht auf die strikten Bauregeln zurück, die nach dem verheerenden Großbrand von 1885 erlassen worden waren. Eines der atemberaubendsten „features“, das in dem Zusammenhang entstanden ist, sind allerdings die Wasserläufe rechts und links der Fahrbahn, die vor einigen Häuser zu Becken verbreitert wurden, ja deren Wasser teilweise sogar in die Eingangsbereiche der Häuser geleitet wird, wo man u.a. prächtige Karpfen hält (die sich besonders über Essensreste vom in den Becken gespülten Geschirr freuen).

Drei der Gebäude in der Kariya Dōri möchte ich hervorheben:

Da ist zunächst das kleine „Shōwa Spielzeug-Museum“ (昭和おもちゃ館 / しょうわおもちゃかん):

Kein Museum von Weltruf, aber wenn Sie sich für Spielsachen, Haushaltsgeräte und Elektronik der Shōwa-Zeit (1926-1989) interessieren und in einem altmodischen Süßigkeitenladen kramen wollen, sind Sie hier richtig.

Geöffnet täglich außer dienstags von 10 Uhr bis 17 Uhr.
Eintritt: Erwachsene: 200 Yen / Kinder bis einschließlich 12 Jahre: 100 Yen.

Lageplan des Shōwa Spielzeug-Museums:

Sie interessieren sich für Sake? Dann statten Sie der „Ōta Sake-Brauerei“ (太田酒造場 / おおたしゅぞうじょう) einen Besuch ab. Diese im Jahr 1909 gegründete Brauerei profitiert von der besonders hohen Qualität des Brauwassers und arbeitet auch heute noch nach der Maxime „Klasse statt Masse“ – die Produktion beschränkt sich auf eine Menge, die gerade mal für 10.000 Standardflaschen (1,8 Liter = 一升瓶 / いっしょうびん) ausreicht.

Über die Präfekturgrenzen hinaus bekannt ist der Markenname der Ōta-Brauerei: „Benten Musume“ (辨天娘 / べんてんむすめ).
Dabei schien das Schicksal der Brauerei schon 1992 besiegelt, als man (aufgrund des drastischen Bevölkerungsrückgangs in der ländlichen Gemeinde) nicht mehr genügend Sake-Braumeister zur Aufrechterhaltung der Produktion fand und diese einstellen musste. Erst 2002 konnte die Produktion wieder mit zunächst 1.080 Litern Sake aufgenommen werden.
Und seit 2010 ist man so stolz darauf, seinen Sake nur mit lokalen Ingredienzien herzustellen, dass man auch die Namen der Reisbauern auf seinen Sakeflaschen mit angibt.
Ich mache sonst ja eher keine plumpe Reklame auf dieser Seite – aber die Brauerfamilie war dermaßen gastfreundlich, dass ich mich zu einer Ausnahme hingerissen fühle.

Lageplan der Ōta Sake-Brauerei:

Und da Sightseeing ja bekanntlich hungrig macht, gönnen Sie sich einen kleinen Imbiss, z.B. im “Dining Café Arata” (ダイニングカフェー新 / あらた) – Voraussetzung ist, sie mögen Schweinefleisch, denn das ist die Spezialität des Hauses. Das Restaurant ist in einem ganz besonders prächtigen und gut ausgestatteten, traditionellen Stadthaus untergebracht.

Lageplan des Restaurants “Arata”:

Ebenfalls auf dem Gebiet der Gemeinde befindet sich der besonders mystisch wirkende Tempel Fudōin Iwayadō (不動院岩屋堂 / ふどういんいわやどう), der auf eine Gründung im Jahre 806 zurückgeht und bis ins Mittelalter Teil eines größeren Temple-Ensembles war (wobei andere Quellen von einer Errichtung in der Muromachi-Zeit (1333-1392) sprechen). Es wird gesagt, dass er als einziges Gebäude die Zerstörungen des Jahres 1581 (Hideyoshi Toyotomis Überfall auf Inaba) überstanden hat. In den 50er Jahren des vergangenen Jahrhunderts wurde umfangreich restauriert und das Bauwerk 1953 als wichtiges Kulturgut des Landes anerkannt. Außerdem gehört er zu den 100 populärsten Gebäuden der Präfektur. Und das aus gutem Grund, denn schon der Umstand, dass er in 13 Metern Höhe in eine Höhle eingepasst wurde, macht ihn bemerkenswert.

Aber beachten Sie auch die Details: Der Fudōin Iwayadō ist auch die Heimstätte einer kleinen, hölzernen Statue, die vor Jahrhunderten geschnitzt wurde. Der Legende nach war es Kōbō-Daishi (der Gründer des Shingon Buddhism) selbst, der sie geschaffen hat (d.h. sie ist über 1.200 Jahre alt). Außerdem erzählt man sich, dass diese kleine Statue auf wundersame Weise die Zerstörungen der Vergangenheit überdauert hat, weil sie die Gottheit des Feuers repräsentiert. Zweimal jährlich (jeweils am 28. März und 28. Juli) werden hier heilige Feuerrituale (goma / 護摩 / ごま) durchgeführt und die Statue bei der Gelegenheit der Öffentlichkeit zugänglich gemacht.

Direkt rechts neben dem Fudōin Iwayadō kommt man am nicht weniger verträumt unter hohen Bäumen und vor einer steilen Felsfand stehenden Iwaya Jinja (岩屋神社 / いわやじんじゃ) vorbei – der schon aufgrund seines surreal wirkenden, grün bemoosten Zugangs ungewöhnlich wirkt.

Lageplan des Fudōin Iwayadō:

Wenn Sie in Tottori sind, sollten Sie also ein paar Gründe haben, einen Abstecher in dieses leicht zu erreichende Gebirgsdorf zu machen. Ich bin mir ziemlich sicher, dass Sie sich seinem Charme und der Freundlichkeit seiner Bewohner kaum entziehen können werden.

Und wenn Sie an weiteren Orten und Einrichtungen in Tottori interessiert sind, schauen Sie doch auch mal hier vorbei:

Kurayoshi (倉吉)
– Die Stadt der weißen Mauern und roten Dächer

Kotoura-chō (琴浦町)
– Bayerische Stuckmeister, aufgepasst!

Tottori Sand-Museum (砂の美術館)
– Eine Weltreise in Sand

Tottori Volkskunst-Museum (鳥取民芸美術館)
– Schauen und Staunen dank Shōya Yoshida


Saizeriya (サイゼリヤ) – updated

6. February 2017
gegrillte Miesmuscheln (399 Yen) (2017)

gegrillte Miesmuscheln / grilled mussels (399 Yen) 2017

Es sind manchmal die am wenigsten eindrucksvollen Beiträge auf dieser Seite, die die meisten “Klicks” erhalten. Mein Beitrag über die Restaurantkette “Saizeriya” gehört auf jeden Fall dazu. Das war mir Grund genug, den Artikel mit weiteren Beispielen der dort aufgetragenen Speisen und Getränke zu versehen. Schauen Sie doch mal wieder vorbei:

Saizeriya (サイゼリヤ) (German version)
– Italienische Küche für jedermann

It is sometimes the least impressive postings on this website that receive the most “clicks”. The one concerning the restaurant chain “Saizeriya” is one of those. Reason enough to review the posting and to add some further samples of the food and drinks that are being served there. Why don’t you have a look again:

Saizeriya (サイゼリヤ) (English version)
– Italian cuisine for everyone


Kurayoshi (倉吉) (Engl.)

15. January 2017

The town of white walls and red roofs

Kurayoshi (倉吉)

Kurayoshi (倉吉)

Eine deutsche Version dieses Artikels finden Sie hier.
A German version of this posting you can find here.

With the city of Kurayoshi I am starting a probably longer series of postings related to a region of Japan that, despite the fact that it is even sung about (people familiar with Japanese “Enka” will surely know Kaori Mizumori’s “Tottori Sakyū”), doesn’t seem to be top of the list with Western tourists: Tottori prefecture (鳥取県 / とっとりけん). That is astonishing and at the same time a shame, as Tottori has not only the most amazing things to offer (when we come to the end of this series, you will have to ask yourself, what made you believe that true knowledge and insight into the Japanese culture was something that could only be found in Kyōto), but it is also the “Cradle of Japan” so to speak. In a nutshell: I had to learn (and was only too happy to do so) that this region of Japan deserves much more attention – especially from western visitors –  when I was invited by the prefectural administration. It suggests itself that I am sharing these experiences with the rest of the world – well, with you, dear readers at least.

There are two reasons why I start my (probably) very colourful row of postings with Kurayoshi (倉吉 / くらよし) – a very simple one, and a rather deplorable one:

  1. Kurayoshi is located in the centre of the Tottori prefecture and can be reached by car from almost any corner of the prefecture within less than one hour (and without violating speed limits).
  2. On October 21, 2016 at 2:07 pm a strong earthquake (magnitude 6.3 – other sources speak of 6.6) with its hypocentre just 10 km below Kurayoshi jolted the prefecture. It caused considerable damage to the region around Kurayoshi – but it could also be felt at Japan’s southern main island, Kyūshū (九州 / きゅうしゅう) and in the capital of the country, 700 km away. But that should come as no surprise, as the earthquake had an intensity of “6-” on the Japanese scale (the third-highest level on this scale) that provides much more information on the destructive power of an earthquake.
    But, as you can see on the tiny video clip below that I took on behalf of Alice Gordenker (attentive readers of my website know her already), the poeple of Kurayoshi quickly have regained a positive attitude and are looking forward to a bright future of their idyllic town:

So, please don’t be surprised, if you find some photosgraphs taken in December 2016 here that display blue covers on some of the roofs. The heavy tiles covering the roofs of the traditional buildings were those parts of the constructions that suffered most from the tremors. So many roofs were damaged that slaters can’t cope with the sudden demand in repairs. After all, the basic structure of the majority of the buildings remained unharmed, because earthquake resistance has always been one of the foremost considerations when building a house in Japan. And even if some buildings are not built to withstand heavy seismic shocks, they are at least relatively easy to reconstruct.

And last but not least, the most important news related to this earthquake is: There were no casualties to be reported.

But I don’t want to go on lamenting about natural disaster, which are – in a way – part of Japan’s very nature and which usually (and luckily) don’t have as grave an impact as some foreign newspaters make it sound.

Now it is time for some basic data about Kurayoshi: With its 50,000 inhabitants it is the third biggest city in the Tottori prefecture. And this fact alone gives you some indication as to the total population of Tottori, which is in fact the least populous in Japan. And its population is also not on the rise. But, as you will see during the course of this forthcoming series of postings about Tottori, this may be one of the particular charms of the region.

Even though nowadays Kurayoshi was founded only in 1953, it can look back on a considerably longer history. In medieval times it even was a proud castle city. And even in our days the city’s layout suggests, that a lot of city planning was done during the obviously prosperous Edo period (1603 to 1867). The large number of fire-protected storage buildings that still shape the character of whole streets, were undoubtedly built before the 20th century. And they are the ones from which the Kurayoshi derives its name, as every smart Japanese linguist can tell from the two characters that form the city’s name: “倉 / くら / kura” means “storage” or “warehouse” and  “吉 / よし / yoshi” stands for “luck” or “good fortune”.

As mentioned above, it is the old storage houses and elegant city houses that are the actual attraction of Kurayoshi. Should you belong to those who believe that Japanese villages and towns are necessarily ugly (at least, if one applies European benchmarks), here (as at other locations in Tottori) you are being taught a lesson to the contrary.

The absence of abundance (Tottori is one of the humble ones among the prefectures of the country) can in fact be a blessing, because it forces the people to make do with what they have and sometime protects them from the doubtful “glory” of “creations in concrete”.

Hence, Kurayoshi has preserved large parts of its charm of the old days of the Edo and the Meiji periods – und one should not be surprised, if he/she finds him/herself compelled to shout out loud: “Aah! Yes! That’s the real Japan!”. Time seems to have stopped here – and it has done so in a very pleasant way.

In some of the old buildings sake and soy sauce are being brewed – just like more than 100 years ago – others have been converted in the tasteful ateliers. Arts and crafts can be found here, as well as the occasional knickknackery.

For good reason Kurayoshi is famous for its ensembles of warehouses with white walls (shirakabe dozō gun / 白壁土蔵群 / しらかべどぞうぐん) and the stylish houses roofed with red tiles (aka-gawara / 赤瓦 / あかがわら).

The old storage houses alongside a picturesque channel (diverted from the nearby river) are a highlight. Some of them show another interesting detail: Their walls are not just painted in shining white, but are also covered with flamed cedar boards (i.e. “flamed” doesn’t really describe it, as these boards are downright charred). With this treatment the wood is not only astonishingly fire resistant, it also withstands nature’s influences much better. This technique of “charring” the wood is called “yakisugi” (焼杉 / やきすぎ).

Kuraoshi is so pretty that it simply invites for amazing strolls. Some of the buildings I would like to introduce in a little more detail.

Sumō Museum (琴櫻記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Kotozakura Sumō-Museum (琴櫻記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Kotozakura Sumō-Museum (琴櫻記念館)

In a rather inconspicuous building, set back a bit from the main street of the old town of Kurayoshi, you can find a little treasure you would not expect: The tiny, but rather exquisit “Kotozakura Sumō Museum” (琴櫻記念館 / ことざくらきねんかん), that is stuffed with memorablia of the life of a great son of the city: Masakatsu Kotozakura (琴櫻政勝 / ことざくらまさかつ) (whose real name was Norio Kamatani (鎌谷紀雄 / かまたにのりお)), was the 53rd Yokozuna (the highest rang among the Sumō wrestlers – a title gained only by 71 wrestlers during the course of the past 300 years). He was born on November 26, 1940 here in Kurayoshi (deceased on August 14, 2007 in Chiba prefecture).

The museum not only displays objects documenting the life of the weighty sportsman (at the height of his success he weighted almost 24 stone), but also convey a lot of things worth knowing about Sumō. It’s definitely worth a small detour – even if you’re not a hardcore Sumō fan.

Address of the Museum:
Kotozakura Kinenkan
Uomachi, 2518
Kurayoshi-shi, Tottori-ken,
〒682-0821

Opening Hours of the Museum:
Daily from 9 am to 5 pm
Closed during the New Year holidays

Admission free

Restaurant “Seisuian” (清水庵)

Of course, sightseeing makes hungry! What better reason to sample some local delicacies? For example those served at the restaurant “Seisuian” (清水庵 / せいすいあん) – that is also located in one of the most beautiful old town houses (machiya / 町屋 / まちや).

The restaurant emphasises on particularly refined dishes made from and with “mochi” (餅 / もち). Dictionaries usually translate this with “sticky rice cake”, but I think, this translation is somewhat misleading, has mochi has very little in common with what one would associate with “cake”. Wikipedia gives a slightly better description: “rice is pounded into paste and molded into the desired shape”. It may have gained some infamous popularity in western media’s reports about fatalities from choking on mochi (not unlike some exaggerated reports that make eating blowfish sound like some sort of “Russian roulette”).

Mochi itself does not have a particularly prominent taste, but it can be used for quite a variety of dishes.

One of the “Seisuian’s” specialities is “Mochi Shabu Shabu” (しゃぶしゃぶ), that can be prepared by the guests themselves. “Shabu Shabu” is probably best known in conjunction with thinly cut raw beef that is being briefly dipped into boiling water or broth. And “Mochi Shabu Shabu” is just the same – using thinly cut mochi instead of beef. The broth gains additional aroma by adding vegetables, seafood and meat.

The scoop of the “Seisuian’s” mochi is, that the standard menues contain a variety of twelve different “tastes” of mochi: carot, shiitake mushrooms, powdered green tea, pumpkin, sesame, blueberry, pepper, corn, mugwort, shrimp, yuzu and chestnut – each offering just a very delicate hint of the respective substance, but in any case a palatal epiphany.

Address of the restaurant:
Seisuian
1-876 Sakaemachi
Kurayoshi, Tottori-ken
〒682-0885

Opening hours of the restaurant:
Lunch: 11 am to 2 pm
Dinner: 5:30 pm to 9 pm (last order: 8 pm)
Mochi Shabu Shabu: 11 am to 9 pm
No regular days off

Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

For all of you, who have an interest in pears, or Asian pears in particular, the Pear Museum of Kurayoshi is a must. Its home is a huge pear-shaped dome in the centre of the city and it is prepared to teach you all you need to know about growing pears in Tottori (the Tottori Pear is the prefecture’s pride and joy) – which it does it hands-on and sometimes also in a way that’s very suitable for children.

The pears of Tottori (and elsewhere in Japan) do not just “ripen” on the trees, they are individually taken care of. During the process of the fuits’ growths they are repeatedly re-wrapped to protect them from nature’s harms. No wonder those pears cannot be compared with most of the fruits one would be able to buy in a western supermarket – neither their optical appearance, nor their taste and certainly not their price.

Have a look at a display of the diversity of pears of the world! And don’t miss the opportunity to taste the local crop!

The whole museum is set up around its centre and most impressive show-piece: A 74 year old pear tree of Kurayoshi that was donated by the local master pear cultivator Kiyoomi Inamura (稲村清臣) in 1999. Mr. Inamura generously allowed the tree to be transplanted from it original location to the Memorial Centre to be displayed as a symbol tree. When the tree was still “alive” it used to bear approximately 4,000 fruits every year.

The tree is quite a sight! One hardly gets a chance to see a tree in all it parts, from its roots to its trunk and up to its branches on an artful trellis.

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Hint: Try the pear soft ice cream that can be bought in the museum’s foyer.

Address of the Pear Museum:

Tottori Nijisseiki Nashi Kinenkan
Kurayoshi Park Square
198-4 Dakyoji-chō
Kurayoshi, Tottori-ken
〒682-0816

Opening hours of the Pear Museum:

Daily from 9 am to 7 pm.
Closed every 1st, 3rd and 5th monday of the month (if a holiday, closed on the next day)
Closed during the New Year holidays (December 29 to January 3)

Admission fee:

Adults (from high school students): 300 Yen
Children (elementary and junior high school students: 150 Yen
Pre-school aged and younger children: free
(there are discounts for groups)

How to reach the old part of town of Kurayoshi:

Kurayoshi can be reach in less than three hours from e.g. Ōsaka station (大阪) via the “Super Hakuto” (スーパーはくと) of the JR San’in Main line (山陰本線 / さんいんほんせn).

As the distance between Kurayoshi station and the sights of the city is rather long, you should consider taking a taxi from the station to Uomachi (魚町 / うおまち) or enter a bus of the “Park Square Line” (パークスクエア線) at bus stop no. 2 to Nishi Kurayoshi (西倉吉 / にしくらよし). After about 15 minutes bus ride get off at the bus stop “Shirakabe Dozōgunmae” (白壁土蔵群前しらかべどぞうぐんまえ). The district with the old town houses and warehouses alongside the channel is right in the north of this bus stop.

Please observe: The map below does not represent the route the bus or a taxi would take.

Should you wish to learn more about the fascinating Tottori prefecture, why don’t you also have a look at the following:

Tottori Sand Museum (砂の美術館)
-Travel Around the World in Sand

Tottori Folk Crafts Museum (鳥取民芸美術館)
– Have a look and be amazed – thanks to Shōya Yoshida

Kotoura-chō (琴浦町)
– Stucco plasterers of the world – watch out!

Tottori: Wakasa (鳥取・若桜)
– A gem, hidden in the mountains


Kurayoshi (倉吉) (dt.)

13. January 2017

Die Stadt der weißen Mauern und roten Dächer

Kurayoshi (倉吉)

Kurayoshi (倉吉)

Eine englische Version dieses Artikels finden Sie hier.
An English version of this posting you can find here.

Mit der Stadt Kurayoshi beginne ich eine voraussichtlich längere Reihe von Artikeln über eine Ecke Japans, die zwar in Liedern besungen wird (ich erinnere nur an Kaori Mizumoris „Tottori Sakyū“), in die sich sonst aber kaum ein westlicher Tourist verirrt: die Präfektur Tottori (鳥取県 / とっとりけん). Das verwundert um so mehr, als gerade Tottori nicht nur die erstaunlichsten Dinge zu bieten hat (wenn Sie alle Artikel gelesen haben, werden Sie sich fragen, warum Sie bisher immer glaubten, Ihre Kenntnisse und Einsichten über Japan partout in Kyōto sammeln zu müssen), sondern auch sozusagen die „Wiege Japans“ ist. Dass die Präfektur völlig zu Unrecht nicht ganz oben auf der Liste der Wunschziele ausländischer Besucher steht, habe ich anlässlich einer Einladung der Präfekturverwaltung erkennen dürfen. Und was läge näher, als diese Erkenntnisse mit dem Rest der Welt zu teilen.

Dass ich meinen bunten Reigen mit Kurayoshi (倉吉 / くらよし) beginne, hat einen ganz einfachen und einen etwas betrüblichen Grund:

  1. Kurayoshi liegt ziemlich genau im Zentrum der Präfektur Tottori und ist damit von fast allen Punkten in der Präfektur mit dem Auto in weniger als einer Stunde zu erreichen.
  2. Am 21. Oktober 2016 ereignete sich um 14.07 Uhr Ortszeit ein Erdbeben der Magnitude 6,3 (andere Quellen sprechen von 6,6), das sein Hypozentrum in 10 Kilometern Tiefe in der Region um Kurayoshi hatte und dort auch die – vergleichsweise – schwersten Schäden anrichtete. Auswirkungen des für die Region ungewöhnlich schweren Bebens waren bis auf die südliche Hauptinsel Kyūshū (九州 / きゅうしゅう) und bis in die 700 km entfernte Hauptstadt zu spüren. Kein Wunder, hatte das Beben doch eine Intensität von 6- auf der japanischen Skala (die aussagekräftiger bezüglich der Zerstörungsgewalt eines Erdbebens ist) – der dritthöchste Skalenwert, der überhaupt vorgesehen ist.
    Wie man auf dem untenstehenden kleinen Videoclip, den ich für Alice Gordenker gedreht habe, sehen kann, schauen die Bürger der idyllischen Stadt aber längst wieder nach vorn:

Seien Sie also nicht verwundert, wenn Sie auf meinen Fotos vom Dezember 2016 hin und wieder mit blauen Planen abgedeckte Dächer sehen. Die Dächer der traditionell gebauten Häuser waren die Gebäudeteile, die am schlimmsten mitgenommen wurden – und zwar in so großer Zahl, dass die Dachdeckerfirmen schier nicht mit den Reparaturen hinterherkommen. Immerhin blieb die eigentliche Bausubstanz der ganz überwiegenden Mehrzahl der Häuser unversehrt. Japan baut schließlich nicht erst seit gestern möglichst erdbebensicher (und wenn schon nicht erdbebensicher, dann doch immerhin wiederaufbaufreundlich). Und, was vielleicht bei all dem Unglück doch noch als “erfreulich” verbucht werden kann: Menschenopfer waren keine zu beklagen.

Aber ich will hier nicht über Naturkatastrophen lamentieren, die hierzulande nun einmal einfach „dazugehören“ und deren praktische Auswirkungen nur in den seltensten Fällen so gravierend sind, wie ausländische Medien dies gern darstellen. Und weil man sich in Deutschland ja oft für nichts anderes zu interessieren scheint: Nein, Radioaktivität ist auch keine ausgetreten…

Jetzt aber erst mal ein paar Kerndaten zu Kurayoshi, das mit seinen etwa 50.000 Einwohnern die drittgrößte Stadt der Präfektur Tottori ist – was schon ein bisschen ein Indiz dafür ist, dass Tottori die japanische Präfektur mit der geringsten Einwohnerzahl ist – und einer, die alles andere als im Steigen begriffen ist. Aber im Laufe der weiteren Artikel über Tottori werden Sie sehen, dass gerade das den Charme der Gegend ausmacht.

Auch wenn die heutige Stadt Kurayoshi erst 1953 gegründet wurde, kann sie doch auf eine wesentlich längere Geschichte zurückblicken. In mittelalterlichen Tagen gab es hier sogar eine Burg. Schon der Grundriss der Stadt lässt vermuten, dass hier bereits in der Edo-Zeit (1603 bis 1867) stadtplanerisch in das damalige Wachstum der Stadt eingegriffen worden ist. Die vielen feuersicheren Speicherhäuser, die auch heute noch das Straßenbild in der Innenstadt prägen, stammen ganz eindeutig aus Zeiten vor dem 20. Jahrhundert. Sie geben der Stadt ihren Namen: Wie der gewiefte Japanisch-Sprachkundige schon an den beiden Schriftzeichen des Stadtnamens erkennen kann: „倉 / くら / Kura“ steht für „Lagerhaus“ oder „Speicher“ und „吉 / よし / yoshi“ steht für „gut“ oder „Glück“.

Aber wie oben erwähnt: Es sind die alten Lagerhäuser und die eleganten Stadthäuser, die den eigentlichen Anziehungspunkt von Kurayoshi ausmachen. Wer bisher glaubte, japanische Dörfer und Kleinstädte müssten notwendigerweise hässlich sein (jedenfalls wenn man europäische Maßstäbe anlegt), wird hier (wie an anderen Orten in Tottori) eines Besseren belehrt.

Der Mangel an Überfluss (Tottori gehört zu den eher bescheidenen Präfekturen des Landes) kann nämlich auch ein Segen sein, weil er die Menschen dazu zwingt, sich mit dem Vorhandenen zu begnügen und nicht gewagte Betonkreationen entstehen zu lassen.

So hat sich Kurayoshi in Teilen seinen Edo- und Meiji-zeitlichen Charme bewahrt – und man fühlt sich an jeder zweiten Straßenecke zu dem Ausruf: „So ist Japan wirklich!“ hingerissen. Hier scheint die Zeit stehengeblieben zu sein.

In einigen der alten Gebäude wird – wie schon vor weit mehr als 100 Jahren – noch immer Sojasoße oder Sake gebraut, andere sind in geschmackvolle Künstlerateliers verwandelt worden. Kunsthandwerk ist hier genauso zu Hause wie der gelegentliche Nippesladen.

Kurayoshi ist nicht umsonst berühmt für seine Ensembles von Lagerhäusern mit weißen Wänden (shirakabe dozō gun / 白壁土蔵群 / しらかべどぞうぐん) und die mit roten Dachziegeln (aka-gawara / 赤瓦 / あかがわら) gedeckten Häuser.

Besonders interessant sind die Lagerhäuser entlang eines vom Fluss abgezweigten Wassergrabens. Einige zeigen – neben dem strahlenden Weiß der Wände – zusätzlich Wandteile, die mit geflammtem Zedernholz verkleidet wurden (d.h. „geflammt“ greift wahrscheinlich zu kurz, denn die Panele sind regelrecht verkohlt). Nach dieser Behandlung ist das Holz besonders unempfindlich gegen Feuer und hält obendrein Witterungseinflüsse noch besser aus. Die Technik des „Verkohlens“ nennt man „yakisugi“ (焼杉 / やきすぎ).

Kurayoshi ist so hübsch, dass es einfach zum Schlendern und Staunen einlädt. Aber ein paar Gebäude/Einrichtungen will ich doch hervorheben.

Sumō-Museum (琴櫻記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Kotozakura Sumō-Museum (琴櫻記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Kotozakura Sumō-Museum (琴櫻記念館)

Ein eher unscheinbar wirkendes Gebäude, etwas zurückgesetzt von der das Altstadtviertel der Länge nach durchziehenden Hauptstraße, soll etwas näher betrachtet werden, denn es beherbergt einen regelrechten Schatz: das kleine, aber um so feinere Kotozakura Sumō-Museum (琴櫻記念館 / ことざくらきねんかん), das voller Memorabilien aus dem Leben eines großen Sohnes der Stadt ist: Masakatsu Kotozakura (琴櫻政勝 / ことざくらまさかつ) (der eigentlich Norio Kamatani (鎌谷紀雄 / かまたにのりお) hieß), der 53. Yokozuna (höchster Rang im Sumō-Ringen – in den vergangenen 300 Jahren konnten ihn nur 71 Kämpfer erringen), wurde am 26.11.1940 hier in Kurayoshi geboren (verstorben am 14.8.2007 in der Präfektur Chiba).

Das Museum wartet nicht nur mit Gegenständen aus dem Leben des gewichtigen (er hatte zu seinen besten Zeiten ein Kampfgewicht von drei Zentnern in den Ring zu wuchten) Sportlers auf, sondern weiß auch sehr viel Wissenswertes über Sumō zu vermitteln. Ein kleiner Abstecher lohnt sich auf jeden Fall – auch wenn Sie kein hartgesottener Sumō-Fan sind.

Adresse des Museums:
Kotozakura Kinenkan
2518 Uomachi
Kurayoshi-shi, Tottori-ken
〒682-0821

Öffnungszeiten des Museums:
Täglich von 9 Uhr bis 17 Uhr
Geschlossen während der Neujahrsfeiertage

Der Eintritt in das Museum ist übrigens frei!

Restaurant “Seisuian” (清水庵)

Natürlich macht Sightseeing auch hungrig. Und was böte sich da mehr an, als eine der lokalen Spezialitäten, die im Restaurant „Seisuian“ (清水庵 / せいすいあん) gereicht werden – das obendrein noch in einem der schönsten alten Stadthäuser (machiya / 町屋 / まちや) untergebracht ist?

Seinen Schwerpunkt hat das Lokal auf besonders raffinierte Speisen aus und mit Mochi (餅 / もち) gelegt. Wörterbücher übersetzen „Mochi“ immer gern mit „Reiskuchen“, aber im Grunde hat Mochi mit Kuchen überhaupt nichts zu tun. Es handelt sich um zu einer zähen Masse gestampften, zuvor gedämpften, klebrigen Reis, der im Westen eher dadurch „Berühmtheit“ erlangt hat, dass es immer wieder mal Berichte über Todesfälle durch Ersticken beim Verzehr von Mochi zu lesen gibt (ähnlich wie außerhalb Japans ja auch das Essen von Kugelfisch als eine japanische Variante „russischen Roulettes“ aufgebauscht wird). Mochi selbst hat keinen herausstechenden Geschmack, lässt sich aber für eine ganze Reihe von Speisen nutzen.

Im „Seisuian“ wird Mochi u.a. als „Shabu Shabu“ (しゃぶしゃぶ) gereicht, das vom Gast selbst am Tisch zubereitet wird. Bei „Shabu Shabu“, das wohl am bekanntesten mit hauchdünn geschnittenen Rindfleischscheiben ist, wird die Hauptzutat (hier ist es eben Mochi) kurz in einem kochenden Sud oder Wasser geschwenkt. Der Sud erhält sein Aroma durch Gemüse, Fisch und Fleisch, das ebenfalls mit hineingegeben und schließlich auch verzehrt wird.

Der Knüller des Mochi im „Seisuian“ ist aber, dass es bei den Standardmenüs des Hauses in zwölf verschiedenen Geschmacksnoten aufgefahren wird: Karotte, Shiitake, Matcha, Kürbis, Sesam, Heidelbeere, Paprika, Mais, Beifuß, Shrimp, Yuzu und Rosskastanie – jeweils wirklich nur mit dem Hauch des Geschmacks der genannten Substanzen, aber jede für sich eine Offenbarung.

Adresse des Restaurants:
Seisuian
1-876 Sakaemachi
Kurayoshi, Tottori-ken
〒682-0885

Öffnungszeiten des Restaurants:
Mittagessen: 11 Uhr bis 14 Uhr
Abendessen: 17.30 Uhr bis 21 Uhr (letzte Bestellung um 20 Uhr)
Mochi-Shabu-Shabu: 11 Uhr bis 21 Uhr
Kein regelmäßiger Ruhetag

Tottori Nijisseiki Birnenmuseum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Für all diejenigen, die ein Faible für die in Deutschland als “Nashi-Birne” bekannten Birnen aus Fernost haben, ist das Birnenmuseum von Kurayaoshi natürlich ein Muss. In einem gigantischen, birnenförmigen Gebäude im Zentrum der Stadt kann man – teilweise auf spielerische und durchaus auch kindgerechte Art – so ziemlich alles über den Birnenanbau in der Präfektur Tottori lernen (und Tottori ist zu Recht auf seine Birnen ganz besonders stolz). Hier reifen die Birnen nicht einfach am Baum, sondern werden im Laufe ihres Wachstums am Baum immer wieder mit schützenden Hüllen versehen. Kein Wunder, dass solche Birnen mit dem Standardsupermarktangebot z.B. in Deutschland nicht zu vergleichen sind – weder ihre äußere Erscheinung, noch ihr Geschmack und natürlich auch nicht ihr Preis.

Schauen Sie sich die Ausstellung der weltweiten Artenvielfalt der Birnen an, die hier zu sehen ist. Und lassen Sie sich die Möglichkeit einer Birnenverkostung nicht entgehen!

Zentraler Punkt und Prunkstück des Museums ist der 74 Jahre alte Birnenbaum vom Kurayoshi, der einst vom Birnenbauern Kiyoomi Inamura (稲村清臣) gezüchtet worden war und zu “Lebzeiten” jährlich etwa 4.000 der großen, saftigen Früchte getragen hat. Dank Herrn Inamura konnte der Baum als Ganzer (mit dem Wurzelwerk) ausgegraben und 1999 ins Museum überführt werden – eine einmalige Gelegenheit, einen Baum in all seinen Teilen und dem ausgeklügelten Spalier für die früchtetragenden Äste aus der Nähe betrachten zu können.

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Kurayoshi (倉吉), Tottori Nijisseiki Pear Museum (鳥取二十世紀梨記念館)

Tipp: Versuchen Sie auch das Birnen-Softeis, das im Foyer des Museums angeboten wird.

Adresse des Birnenmuseums:

Tottori Nijisseiki Nashi Kinenkan
Kurayoshi Park Square
198-4 Dakyoji-chō
Kurayoshi, Tottori-ken
〒682-0816

Öffnungszeiten des Birnenmuseum:

Täglich von 9 Uhr bis 17 Uhr
Geschlossen am 1., 3. und 5. Montag jeden Monats (fällt dieser Tag auf einen Feiertag, bleibt das Museum stattdessen am darauffolgenden Tag geschlossen)
Geschlossen während der Neujahrsfeiertage (29.12. bis 3.1)

Eintrittsgeld:

Erwachsene (Schüler ab Oberstufe): 300 Yen
Kinder (Schüler bis einschl. Mittelstufe): 150 Yen
Kinder im Vorschulalter: frei
(Nachlässe für Gruppen)

Wie man in die Altstadt von Kurayoshi kommt:

Kurayoshi kann z.B. vom Bahnhof Ōsaka (大阪) mit dem „Super Hakuto“ (スーパーはくと) JR San’in Hauptlinie (山陰本線 / さんいんほんせん) in weniger als drei Stunden erreicht werden.

Da der Bahnhof von Kurayoshi reichlich abseits der eigentlichen Sehenswürdigkeiten der Stadt liegt, bietet es sich an, von dort entweder mit dem Taxi nach Uomachi (魚町 / うおまち) zu fahren oder vom Bahnhof Kurayoshi am Bussteig 2 einen Bus der „Park Square Line“ (パークスクエア線) nach Nishi Kurayoshi (西倉吉 / にしくらよし) zu nehmen und nach etwa einer Viertelstunde Fahrzeit an der Haltestelle „Shirakabe Dozōgunmae“ (白壁土蔵群前しらかべどぞうぐんまえ) auszusteigen. Das Viertel mit den alten Stadthäusern und den Lagerhäusern entlang des Flusses befindet sich direkt nördlich der Bushaltestelle.

Bitte beachten Sie, dass die auf der unten stehenden Karte eingezeichnete Route nur einen Anhaltspunkt darstellen soll, nicht aber die Fahrtroute von Bus oder Taxi wiedergibt.

Und wenn Sie an weiteren Orten und Einrichtungen in Tottori interessiert sind, schauen Sie doch auch mal hier vorbei:

Tottori Sand-Museum (砂の美術館)
– Eine Weltreise in Sand

Kotoura-chō (琴浦町)
– Bayerische Stuckmeister, aufgepasst!

Tottori: Wakasa (鳥取・若桜)
– Schmuckstück, versteckt in den Bergen

Tottori Volkskunst-Museum (鳥取民芸美術館)
– Schauen und Staunen dank Shōya Yoshida


Bierland Japan – Country of the Beer 2016 (Bilder/Pictures)

2. January 2017

Ein Jahr voller Biere – ein Rückblick auf das Bierangebot des Jahres 2016
A year full of beers – a review of the beer range offered in 2016

Die von mir in 2016 verkosteten Biere nach Hersteller sortiert und in alphabetischer Reihenfolge. Von einigen Dosen sind sowohl die Vorder- als auch die Rückseite zu sehen. Klicken Sie sich durch die unten stehenden Miniaturen, um mehr Details zu erhalten.

The Beers I tasted in 2016 sorted by producer and in alphabetical order. For some of the beers you can see the front as well as the back of the can. Click through the miniatures below to gain access to more details.

Asahi

Kirin

Sapporo

Suntory

Andere/others

Zusatzinformation:
Dies ist ein Artikel der “Ohne Worte / Non-Verbal”-Serie – für Näheres zu dieser Serie siehe in der Navigationsleiste unter “Ohne Worte / Non-Verbal“.

Additional Information:
This is a posting of the “Ohne Worte / Non-Verbal” series – for more details on this series, please have a look at “Ohne Worte / Non-Verbal“ on the navigation bar.

Sehen Sie auch/Also have a look at:

– Ein bunter Überblick / A colourful review
– Echigo Bier ( エチゴビール ) aus Niigata (新潟)
Echigo Beer ( エチゴビール ) from Niigata (新潟)
– Kirin Bier ( キリンビール ) – eine meiner beiden Lieblingsbrauereien
Kirin Beer ( キリンビール ) – one of my two favourite Breweries
– Kirins kaiserliche Kollektion
Kirin’s Imperial Collection
– Sapporos wohlschmeckende Tochter – Yebisu
Sapporo’s savoury Daughter – Yebisu
Bierland Japan – Country of the Beer 2012
– Bierland Japan – Country of the Beer 2013
– Bierland Japan – Country of the Beer 2014
Bierland Japan – Country of the Beer 2015


Minami Ashigara (南足柄) (Engl.)

19. November 2016

And yet another day of adventure and experience in Kanagawa